Halfway Down the Rabbit Hole

8.02.2006

My life in a van...or two and a car...

Rabbithole feature below.

A few weeks ago I moved out of my parents' house to a bachelor's apartment downtown. Despite lacking some of the luxuries I enjoyed back at my 'rents' house, the place is my own and is in a great location for me to be while I go to school to get my Eng. degree. Initially, everything I'd packed in the weeks leading up to the move seemed like only one van load...tops. However, it was very fortunate that I had some very good friends (and their vehicles) help me with the move because I ended up requiring all of their storage space as well for the move. And for their help I am very grateful.
The timing had one downside, though, as I was moving from a location with air conditioning to one without...at the start of what was to be a heat wave. Thus, I began my bachelor life sleeping in 40 deg C weather at night, trying to get my body to physiologically adapt to it so I could live without the fans I had brought with me; this incidentally led me to have one sleepless night before work. Luckily it ended with a storm that I welcomed with glee as it lowered the temperature enough to allow me to sleep like a baby (Yes, I know the storm has devastating effects elsewhere and for that I'm sorry).

Rabbit Hole Feature (Part I) begins here...
But yet another thing happened that I did not really notice until a while ago and it got me thinking about this post's Rabbit Hole Feature. Before the move the weather was only a little cooler than after the move and was, thus, fairly hot (near 30s). I was comfortable in the air-conditioned environments of home and work and sweated. But after the move I suddenly felt freezing at work and fine at home or outside. Now, I initially thought that this was possibly due to the fact that my body had physiologically adapted to the weather condition/climate change and I had adapted already. But then I got thinking about several other factors that might have contributed.
  • Work:
    • At work, with the onset of the heatwave, the Climate control people decided that, in order to maintain a comfortable work environment and counter the rise in heat, they would pump up the AC in order to lower the temperature of the outer offices to a more comfortable level. Since my office/work area is in the inner area (quite possibly the literal centre of the building block), I would not have any sun or humidity to be countered by the AC and would thus have my office temp lowered since the entire building is on the same unit.
  • Home/Outside:
    • Being the summer, I keep my windows open to have the temperature moderate itself in the room and also to keep it from being stuffy indoors. It might have been that the temperatures have cooled down, resulting in a more normal temperature setting that I've been used to at my parents' house with the AC.
The combination of the above two factors may have given me the illusion of my body's physiological adaptation to the surrounding environment.

Rabbit Hole Feature 2:

This one's more of a story but it presents an interesting thought.

Frank was a famous lawyer in his city. One day he was asked by a younger lawyer named Ernest who had just earned his bar to help him start up his practice, aiding him with instructions. Naturally the younger lawyer offered to pay Frank for his services and Frank agreed to take Ernest under his wing under the condition that Ernest pay Frank once Ernest had won his own case. Until then, Ernest would continue to study under Frank. A contract was signed with these conditions before the instruction started.
For some reason, Ernest was unable to win a case for a long time and, after a couple of years of this going on, Frank decided he had had enough and needed to be paid. So he did what he thought would be a mark of genius on his part.

He sued Ernest.

He figured that if he won the court would award him the money he'd been owed plus court fees. However, if he lost, that would mean Ernest had won the case and would be obligated to fulfill the terms of the contract and pay Frank anyways.

Ernest, however, saw this in a different way. If he lost the case, he would not be obligated to pay since the contract would still not have been fulfilled and he would not legally have to pay Frank. However, if he won, he would not be legally obligated to pay Frank.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home