Halfway Down the Rabbit Hole

3.20.2006

The beat goes on...

The sun rises. The moon falls. Somewhere, people are on their way to work, school or getting ready to. Somewhere someone takes a drink from their cup of morning coffee while they read the morning paper while they, along with many other people around them, prepare for the coming day; that time between when the sun comes up and when the sun goes down to mark the night where they relax for the night or go out and enjoy the nightlife. To prepare themselves for the following day.

The Ontario college teacher's strike has entered its tenth day (Mar 7-10, 13-17). And after 3 weeks off of school, a student rally in Toronto, and a call to the provincial government to step in and take action against the strike, the two sides (College management and teachers) are now at the tables for the next round of talks. According to College Student Association College Strike Website, even if they come to an agreement immediately (at the end of today), it will still be several days before classes resume. So I think it will be very likely that this week will still be off school.

I'm working part time at the college still (taking the bus isn't that much of a hassle; it just drops me off across the street and I walk onto campus). Since picketers cover only the driving entrances (including into rez), I don't encounter any of them. It's just a longer walk but it's almost spring.

Today was a good day. Very nice out if not a little cold when the wind blows so I decided to get a few errands done.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While I am not in your situation and probably have no words to say that make sense. I wanted to let you know that I have been here to read your words.
    I will not pretend to be up to date on your conflict at school, in this sense I am ignorant. To think of all the people who are wanting an education and being refused the ability to learn from learned professionals is depressing to me. I do not know the circumstances of the strike as I have said before, I hope it isnt something minor that could have been taken care of prior to all this. I do remember last year or the year before you were talking about this being a possibility, so I am sure that it came down to either walk out and stand your ground, or be trampled.
    I hope that classes resume for you soon and that the education you are paying for is followed through on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home