Halfway Down the Rabbit Hole

5.09.2006

I'm afraid all of your efforts have been for naught dear one.

Well this has certainly been an interesting couple of days. Being the spring time all the animals are coming out and enjoying the weather. My dad is currently watching a nest of robin eggs who have taken residence in one of my mom's hanging plants in the archway thingy outside. He is waiting for them to hatch so he might be able to get some pictures of the young hatchlings.

As well, outside the den (which used to be the guest room in our house), there was yet another nest where a bird had taken residence. Its eggs had hatched. Getting fed up with the noise, my dad decided to get a ladder and push closed the metal grate that had been pulled open to allow the birds access into our attic area. However, it had an unexpected result, though it should have been expected, and it also allowed for a unique observation that I had never had before. Once we closed the opening, we had trapped the mother bird outside and the baby birds inside. The baby birds were chirping for their food and the mother bird was flying around trying to feed food through the tiny holes in the grating (these holes were less than a cm in diameter). But she was rather unsuccessful and soon we saw her perched on a nearby branch chirpin away as well. Feeling guilty, my dad got a broomstick and fitted it with a coathanger. He then opened the upper window to his den (which was only a couple of meters from the original hole), and pulled open the hole to a size large enough for the bird to get through and feed the hatchlings. I left for a bit to do some business and when i came back the chirping had quieted down, presumably because the bird had been able to get in and feed her babies.
This morning I awoke to the sounds of scampering in the attic. Knowing birds don't scamper I figured it was some sort of animal. I later learned that it was a squirrel who had been able to get into the attic through the very same hole we opened and was running around. Hearing no chirping, I soon figured that the birds had fallen victim to the squirrel. *sigh*.....


On a lighter note...I got the job and InVista.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:21 p.m., Blogger Thainamu said…

    Do squirrels eat birds? I could visualize mama bird pecking the squirrel's eyes out.

     
  • At 4:17 p.m., Blogger calm said…

    Apparently, though it might be more for territorial issues than for food Link

     

Post a Comment

<< Home