Halfway Down the Rabbit Hole

3.08.2004

I should be working on my TQM project but I'll get to that...shouldn't be too long. Should be doing homework right now so I don't know how philosophical I plan on being at the moment. But here's my first philosophical thought I have for now.

Lately I've been pondering the idea of Schroedinger's cat. I heard about it in high school...discussed it with my sister (who is also a philosophical thinker) but never really understood it. Then it clicked. Here's my explanation:

There was this dude called Schroedinger who had a cat. One day he put a cat in a box with a poisonous gas contained in a vial that is connected to a device that, at any time in the future, near or distant, could break the vial thereby releasing the gas and killing the cat. But until it does so the cat is still alive. Schroedinger closed the box and waited some time.
He then brought someone else into the room he was in and asked him whether the cat in the box was still alive or not without opening the box.

The point here was that to the outside world Schroedinger's cat existed in a state that was neither death nor life. Only upon opening the box would the cat's state change instantaneously to either living or dead. You open the box and find a live cat...or you open it and a dead one.

Whoa....Happy pondering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home